Saturday, June 27, 2009

View from the A Frame

Today is June 27, 2009.  I have been away from Ute Trail Ranch for 17 days and I am wishing I were back at the ranch.  The weather in Dallas has been unusually hot for June with 4 or 5 days of 1oo degrees or more.  Nancy and I go to Colorado on July 8th so I have 11 more days before I return.

My son, George, and his family(Sarah, Margaret , George and Elizabeth) just returned from Ute Trail and they had a good time.  They agreed with me that the camp food is excellent and they enjoyed river rafting, horseback riding and hatchet throwing.  George will be coming back with a group in September.  George has been a great encourager about the camp ministries and he and Sarah have added so much to our program and facility.

When I read my John Stott Thought of the Day it stressed that we Christians are servants and we have ministries which help other people.  It was very good!  John Stott understands and communicates Jesus better than any writer in my opinion.

We have completed 4 weeks of the 11 weeks of camp.  Right now the staff is off until the new families and groups come in tomorrow.  I hope they are getting plenty of rest.  George and Sarah told us that they thought our guests were really enjoying the camp program.  The Morgans are doing an excellent job.

I just finished reading "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer.  This book is about Chris McCandless, a young man from Atlanta, who began an odyssey when he graduated from college that took him all over the western United States and ended when he died of starvation and possibly poisoning in Alaska in August of 1992.  Chris hiked into an area called the Stampede Trail in upper Alaska and survived for 109 days on his own with a 22 rifle.  He shot squirrels, duck, ptarmigan, grouse, a moose and some other animals and he gathered and ate berries and other edible plants.  He wanted to be free of civilization and live in a natural state.  It is a sad ending.  It made me realize how important it is to be able to call for help.  On our wilderness trips we have satellite phones and our trips are always led by well trained guides who are in excellent physical condition.  Our wilderness coordinator, Thomas Ufer, was among the first guides in our program in 1997 and has worked for this ministry almost every year since then.  He is a good combination of wilderness guide and Christian leader.  We are fortunate to have him.  He is assisted in leadership this summer by Amy Dalton, who also has a good amount of experience in leading young people in wilderness settings.

Jon Krakauer(sp?) is a good writer.  I also recommend "Into Thin Air" by him.  It is about the Everest climb 15 or so years ago when one of the guides died and Dr Bek Weathers suffered frostbite and some blindness.  One other book I recommend is "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose.  This is a very good book about the Lewis and Çlark expedition 1804 to 1806.

I am pleased to know that a few people are following this blog.  I hope you find it interesting and informative.  I am trying to keep it fairly short.

We just received another approval on our wastewtp and I hope we can finish this by November 1st.  We have as a guest this week, David McWilliams and his family.  David is the former head football coach at the U. of Texas Austin who led the team to a conference championship in the early 1990s.  
david and his wife, Cindy, and their four children are dedicated trout fishermen and love fishing on the Lake Fork.  David was a frequent guest of my Uncle, Charles Seay, when he owned the ranch from 1978 to 1993.  We are glad David still likes to visit the ranch and fish

Until next time stay relaxed and loose and enjoy life.

George Seay

1 comment:

  1. George, I had the opportunity to swing through Ute Trail last week for a couple of days. I was taking five of my students on an adventure trip, or "Mancation" as we called it. We spent a day at the Sand Dunes, then a night at UTR before going to the Bakery and over Engineer Pass to Ouray. In Ouray we spent a couple of nights and did some hiking. Then it was back to UTR for a delicious dinner and time with the staff. I saw George, Sarah, Elizabeth and George (Margaret was sleeping) there for "Family Lack-of-Talent Show". George proved that he was very talented by playing guitar and singing for us all. Thanks for opening up the ranch for all to enjoy! Regards, Adam Peterson

    ReplyDelete